The South Carolina Public Charter School District (PCSD) is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Building/Grounds Manager to join our team. We are looking for a talented professional with a professional background in building and grounds maintenance, building/grounds contracts, managing vendor/contractor services, and building safety/security. In addition to supporting the mission, vision, and values of the PCSD, the successful candidate will have skills, knowledge, and experience to effectively manage the PCSD District Office as well as its adjacent leased facility, as well as curate a portfolio of high-quality contractors and vendors to support the continued upkeep of the PCSD facility and grounds.
- Directs and in some cases providing the maintenance and operation of the PCSD complex, inclusive of 1824 Barnwell Street, and its adjacent, leased 1812 Barnwell Street facilities.
- Ensures the facility remains clean, tidy, and working order at all times.
- Manages and oversees routine providers including landscaping and custodial services for the property.
- Develops and maintains a list of high-quality, dependable contractors and vendors for needed services, as well as prepares work orders for maintenance and repairs.
- Originates recommendations on facilities and grounds improvements.
- Prepares specifications and cost estimates for potential grounds and facilities upkeep, repairs, maintenance, and improvements in concert with the PCSD Chief Financial Officer and team.
- Confers with technical personnel and agency leadership to solve building and grounds issues.
- Prepares and maintains budget estimates, expenditures, and reports.
- Ensures facility and grounds deliverables are completed within specifications and remains onsite with contractors until work is complete.
- Manages safety and security of building and grounds, including providing or managing security services for assigned district events.
- Manages the PCSD’s safety plan, ensuring it remains up to date; manages safety drills as required by state law, as well as other grounds/facility items such as raising and lowering flags consistent with governmental notices.
- Sets up and tears down events hosted at the District office to include movement of tables, chairs, banners, décor, etc.
- Acts as the on call first responder to safety alerts such as unlocked doors, break in, fire, flood, etc.
- Associate’s degree and at least five years of experience in building/grounds/safety management.
- Experience in facility and grounds maintenance, repair, and management.
- Experience in working with contractors, vendors, and other entities with respect to buildings, grounds, and safety.
- Ability to keep accurate records; communicate effectively; oversee projections to successful completion; prioritize and make optimal use of personnel, materials, and equipment; develop written procedures, and develop and maintain grounds/facilities budget.
- Must be a resident of South Carolina and have a valid South Carolina driver’s license prior to date of hire and undergo a background check prior to employment.
- Must be available after hours for unforeseen emergencies.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Must be able to stand, walk, and work on feet 8-10 hours per day.
- Professional experience as a school district grounds/facility manager, safety officer, or other public management related to this position.
- General knowledge of/experience in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and general commercial contracting.
- General knowledge of/experience in landscape engineering and design principles.
- General knowledge of/experience in safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of technical drafting.
- NOTE: Former military and/or law enforcement personnel are encouraged to apply.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Working Hours: 7.5 Hour Day between 6:00AM and 6:00PM
- SC State Health Insurance (BlueCross BlueShield)
- SC State Retirement or Optional State Retirement
Applicants should submit a resume to Jackie Snell, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director of Human Resources.