Five South Carolina Public Charter School District educators have been named as finalists for the 2022 Teacher of the Year distinction.
The district received 14 applications from an exemplary pool of diverse candidates seeking to be named the 2022 Teacher of the Year. The application review process was conducted by internal staff and a series of in-person interviews will be completed during the week of April 18 by internal and external staff to vet each finalist. The district Teacher of the Year will be announced in May during Teacher Appreciation Week. The 2021 District Teacher of the Year, Deion Jamison of Legacy Early College, will participate in the interview panel.
2022 Teacher of the Year Finalists
- Robin Carter, a high school science teacher at SC Whitmore School
- Ashley Moreira, a high school English teacher at Greenville Technical Charter High School
- Stephen Place, a high school English teacher at High Point Academy
- Juliana Smith, a special education teacher at Bridges Preparatory School
- Shasta Smith, a first grade teacher at Liberty STEAM Charter School
“With more than 2,000 faculty and staff in 38 public charter schools across our district, being named as a finalist for the District Teacher of the Year award is a career milestone,” stated Emalee Baker, chief of programs and District Teacher of the Year program coordinator. “The five finalists represent the innovation, individualized learning, and student advocacy that is a hallmark of each of our schools.”